Saturday 29 July 2017

July Wrap Up 2017

This was a good reading month even though I had a bit of slump stumble halfway through (I blame ACOWAR because no series will ever live up to it).

A Court of Mist and Fury (ACOTAR #2)- Sarah J. Maas (Re-read)
* * * * *
I had to re-read this because I've been wanting to re-read this since August last year and the sequel has just recently been released. This is my favourite ever book, it still is, as re-reading it was such an amazing experience- taking in so many details that I missed the first time round. I would definitely recommend reading this series because it has the most perfect characters you could ever wish for.
A Court of Mist and Fury BOOK TALK (First read)
A Court of Mist and Fury BOOK TALK (Re-read)



A Court Wings and Ruin (ACOTAR #3)- Sarah J. Maas 
* * * * *
I finally made it!!! I waited so long to read this book and it was everything I could want it to be! I devoured every single read and I'm already itching to re-read it. Sarah is a stunning writer and every single word is perfectly placed and beautiful. I was an emotional wreck through this- I must've looked crazy. I was crying, laughing, jumping up and down and squealing. Good thing I read it alone.
A Court of Wings and Ruin BOOK TALK




To All The Boys I've Loved Before (Lara Jean #1)- Jenny Han (Re-read)
* * * * *
This is one of my favourite contemporary series. These books have to be the cutest ones ever- they define the word adorable. I've re-read this book so many times because it makes me so happy and lightens my mood instantly. It's the perfect read for summer.







PS. I Still Love You (Lara Jean #2)- Jenny Han (Re-read)
* * * * *
This book is just as cute as the first one. As well as the most swoon-worthy guy, there's a lovely sense of family that really binds the whole book together. These books are the easiest ones to read and you'll be able to flick through them in a flash.





Always and Forever, Lara Jean (Lara Jean #3)- Jenny Han 
* * * 
In all honesty, I was a bit disappointed with this finale. Ever since I heard there was going to be another book, I was so deliriously excited but... this book was not adorable. It was only cute at times and it actually made me really depressed! So, basically, nothing like the other books. There were moments of the light-hearted and swoony stuff but the rest was just a build up of an inevitable doom. The characters were all acting differently and not like their usual lovable selves which annoyed they heck out of me because their decisions were so frustrating and out of character.
I'm just going to pretend this book never happened.

One of Us is Lying- Karen M. McManus
* * * *
I really enjoyed this book- it was a suspicious book full of paranoia and surprises! I will admit that I was disappointed with the reveal of the murderer- I think it was a bit of a cop out. I'd considered this person quite early on but pushed the idea away as it wouldn't have been satisfying enough- it wouldn't have such an impact of betrayal as the murderer being a character you love and thought you knew. If that makes any sense without giving away who it was.






Love and Other Man-Made Disasters
* * *
I didn't have major expectations which was a good thing because this isn't a major book. It was generally enjoyable and easy to read even though it suffered from cliches and insta-love slightly. This was a quick read but there were many predictable moments weaved throughout that irritated me.






Optimists Die First- Susin Nielson 
* * * *
I think the tag line expresses this perfectly: a love story for cynics. 
Which naturally meant that I loved it!
This was super close to being five stars. Susin Nielson has also written the novel We Are Made Of Molecules which I liked.... but didn't love. So, I was a bit wary going into this one but I loved it! The protagonist was super- I can totally relate to pessimistic and cynical characters. The plot was deep, layered and insightful. And I also have a full-frontal appreciation for the last couple of lines in the novel... it felt like such an accomplishment for the protagonist. Beautiful!


Lord of Shadows (The Dark Artifices #2)- Cassandra Clare (Book of the Month)
* * * * * 
This was July's Book of the Month that me and Kaitlin decided to read because we still hadn't!
I don't know why I'm always hesitant to go into Cassie Clare book.... maybe it's the length? But every time, as soon as I start reading, I'm sucked in. I'm not as fussed with the politics and general plot but I live for the characters and relationships in these books- that's what spurs me on. Because my beautiful ships!!!! I mean, demon fights? Seen. Downworlder/Shadowhunter feud? Been there, done that. Someone corrupting the Clave? Old news. I read these books for the characters and not the plot. But I still love them.
Book Talk coming soon (I hope)!

Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment your thoughts- what did you read this month? Stay amazing!
Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment